Please request by calling 303.954.3999 or 800-336-7678
- Sample Lesson (25 minutes): A demonstration lesson done in the classroom with students. Subject and lesson will be customized to meet the needs of participating teachers and students.
- Youth Journalism (25 minutes): Get an introduction to YourHub.com/NextGen, a website where 4th-8th grade students can post their work and have it considered for print in Colorado Kids in the Tuesday Denver Post or in the NextGen column in the YourHub.com print product delivered with the Thursday Denver Post.
PARENT & ADULT PROGRAMS
- PTA / PTO: A variety of activities that parents can use to improve their children's reading, writing and math skills using the newspaper.
- Adult Literacy: Focuses on meeting the unique needs and challenges of working with adult learners without insulting their intelligence
Denver Post Educational Services is proud to announce the following workshops which can be offered at your site before, during and after school hours, including evenings and weekends. Workshops done by any of our staff members can be scheduled by calling 303.954.3999 or 800-336-7678.
- Faculty Meeting (15-30 minutes): This mini-workshop, tailored to fit the needs of the group, gives a brief overview of the programs, resources, and services which help teachers use the newspaper as a integral part of their curriculum.
- The Virtual Newspaper (45 minutes - 1 hour): An overview of the features of the electronic replica edition of The Denver Post, plus archive going back to 2004. Learn how to use the special features of this product to enhance student research and critical thinking., plus get an overview of the features of www.denverposteducation.com
- Teaching Reading/Writing Skills (1-2 hours): How to teach and reinforce state standards using the daily newspaper. Includes an overview of how to use our serialized fiction and non-fiction with CSAP-style questions.
- Improving Math Skills through the newspaper (1 hour): A variety of activities using the classified ads, food section, sports pages, and weather to teach and reinforce computational and conceptual skills. Includes an overview of our standards-based programs with CSAP style questions.
- Improving Social Studies through the Newspaper (1 hour): This workshop focuses on a variety of social studies concepts, including geography and map skills, current events and a look at the world around us.
- Using the Newspaper with Primary Students (1 hour): Designed for kindergarten through grade two, this workshop focuses on reading, writing and math skills which can be taught and/or reinforced through use of the newspaper.
- Critical Thinking Skills and 21st Century Learning (1-2 hours): Techniques for taking students beyond those knowledge and comprehension levels of learning into the evaluation process and critical thinking.
- Tailor-made workshops (1-3 hours): Need something that isn't here? You tell us what you want and we'll try to meet your needs.