September 5, 2012: Meet Author Thanhha Lai
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Draw four large books on a piece of paper. Use newspaper words to create titles for the books. Paste the titles onto your books.
2. Select five people from different parts of the newspaper. Pick a book you think each person would like.
3. Pick three books you would like to read from today’s Mini Page. Have a friend pick three books. Compare your choices.
4. Which Children’s Choice books are about (a) someone growing up, (b) animals, (c) fantasies, and (d) other countries?
5. Draw pictures of four major events in your life. Use the pictures in a book you write about yourself.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students comprehend and respond to a variety of images and text. (Language Arts: Reading)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)