Oct. 5, 2011: Popcorn!
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Draw pictures of unusual ways to use popcorn in different food dishes.
2. Make trading cards. On each card, draw a picture of one way popcorn has been used in the past. Draw modern food on the backs of the cards.
3. Use newspaper pictures of different foods to create a decorative hat.
4. Find newspaper foods that you might find at a (a) baseball game, (b) fair, (c) birthday party, and (d) picnic.
5. Select a food from the food section of your newspaper. Find ways the food has been used in different times and cultures.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standards:
- Students demonstrate an interest and appreciation for a variety of foods. (Nutrition)
- Students understand factors that influence food choices, such as culture and
personal experience. (Health: Nutrition)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)