Oct. 26, 2011: UNICEF
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Draw a picture of yourself and friends in your favorite Halloween costumes trick-or-treating for UNICEF.
2. Divide a circle into three sections. In the sections, paste newspaper words/pictures of school items for needy children, medicines and good food.
3. Find three stories in the newspaper about groups that help people in need. Explain what each group does.
4. How do these help people in other countries: (a) mosquito nets, (b) high-energy biscuits and (c) vaccinations?
5. On a map of the world, put a star for every place mentioned in The Mini Page where UNICEF is helping people. Explain how UNICEF helps in each country.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students understand how societies are affected by policies of nation-states, governmental and non-governmental organizations. (Social Studies: Civics)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)