May 9, 2012: Queen for 60 Years
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Design a crown you would like to wear.
2. In your newspaper, circle words about royalty, such as "king" and "queen." Why do we like these words?
3. List the different jobs Queen Elizabeth performs. Put a check by the same ones that President Obama does in this country.
4. How are these people important to Queen Elizabeth: (a) George VI, (b) Prince Charles, (c) Prince William and (d) Prince Philip?
5. Find these things in the newspaper to plan a celebration for Queen Elizabeth: places to visit, a restaurant to provide food, a place for the party, and five people to invite
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students understand how people interact with structures of authority and governance. (Social Studies: Governance)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)