May 23, 2012: Honoring Our Fallen
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Design a full-page newspaper ad to honor veterans.
2. List words that remind you of Memorial Day. Now put the words in a poem.
3. Circle five items in the newspaper you would use in your own Memorial Day Celebration
4. In the newspaper, find a local Memorial Day event that will have (a) a parade, (b) fireworks, (c) music and (d) a speaker.
5. Research one of the wars shown in The Mini Page. Answer these questions: What caused the war? How did it end? How did it change our country?
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students understand people and events honored in commemorative holidays. (History)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)