June 6, 2012: Soaring With Seabirds
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Divide a piece of paper into two sections. On one, paste newspaper words/pictures of land birds. On the other, paste newspaper words/pictures of seabirds.
2. Make a list of three interesting facts about seabirds. Write three questions you have about them.
3. Circle places in the newspaper where you might see seabirds. Explain your choices.
4. How are these important to water birds: (a) hollow bones, (b) countershading, (c) cone-shaped eggs, and (4) salt gland?
5. Research one of the seabirds mentioned in The Mini Page. Write about its size, where it lives, how it eats and how it raises its young.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students understand the interactions of animals and their environments. (Science: Life Science)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)