August 31, 2011: Meet Author Jennifer L. Holm
The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers. Click here to learn about subscribing to the eEdition at no cost to you (for Colorado teachers).
1. Make fiction and nonfiction trading cards. Put the titles of Newbery and Caldecott winners on your cards. Draw a picture on each card.
2. Ask two friends to name their favorite comic strips. Collect those strips in a notebook.
3. Divide a circle into three equal parts. In one part, show how Jennifer Holm is creative. In another, show how she is hardworking. In the last part, list the books she’s written.
4. What Newbery/Caldecott books would fit in these newspaper sections: (a) entertainment, (b) news, and (c) food?
5. Select a news photo for a story. Draw your story in five panels on a piece of paper.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them. This week's standard:
Students comprehend and respond to a variety of images and text. (Language Arts: Reading)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)